The competition which pushed choreographers to state their choreographic vision in the solo and duet form, the WiFi Body New Choreographers Competition has uncovered choreographic talents who are now the most articulate practitioners in Philippines Contemporary Dance. The competition will be held during the WiFi Body Independent Contemporary Dance Festival 7 from July 17 to 20, 2014, at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.
With the support of CDNM, past winners and participants have had more local and international exposure and opportunities in venues such as the Yokohama Dance Collection X in Yokohama, Japan, Centre Nacionale De La Danse in Paris, France, the Pointe to Point Asia-Europe Dance Forum is Warsaw, Poland, the Kyoto Arts Center in Japan, and the Impulstanz International Dance Festival in Vienna, Austria.
Criteria for applicants:
1. A Filipino citizen.
2. Has not created a major full-length work and is interested/committed in pursuing choreography as a profession.
Requirements of the work:
1. Length of solo or duet: 10-12mins.
2. Premieres the solo or duet, in full for the first time for the festival competition. (can be re-worked from an earlier piece but premiered for the competition in a new form)
3. The solo or duet can be performed by the choreographer or by dancers other than the choreographer.
4. Must be performed with basic lighting cues.
5. No sets allowed, only props essential to the dance are allowed.
6. Emphasis will be given on the level of dance research in theme, aesthetics, process and its innovative application.
7. A 100-word proposal of the work’s concept and a 3-5 minute video in dvd of the work or work-in-progress or the movement study of the proposed work must be submitted by April 22, 2014. Videos can be submitted online via YouTube link sent to email@example.com. DVDs may also be sent to Avel Bautista, Airdance, Unit 303 Frisco Place, 158 Roosevelt Ave. cor. Del Monte Ave., San Francisco Del Monte, Quezon City, Philippines 1104, Tel. No.: (+63-2) 414-5279, Mobile No.: (+63) 916-356-6693
We will announcing the finalists on April 29, 2014 during the International Dance Day celebrations. Mentoring and workshops by both local and international dance artists will occur before the performance in July.
The competition will be at the Tanghalang Huseng Batute at the Cultural Center of the Philippines on July 19 and 20, 2014. First, Second and Third prizes will be chosen by a panel of 3 distinguised judges. There will also be a voting for an Audience Winner by ticket holders.
The winners will be announced on July 20, 2014 after the Gala Performance Wifi Body 7.
Photo of Wifi Body NCC 1st runner up Sarah Samaniego’s Nalaroan by Tony Ganal